Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The 7 Golden Rules of Using Technology in Schools

I came across this article, The 7 Golden Rules of Using Technology in Schools, over the summer and today it is really resonating with me. You really need to read this article. I am NOT kidding! Read it! I am throwing in my two cents below:

1. Don't trap technology in a room! - You do not need a computer lab or even a mobile lab to integrate technology into the classroom! If you need ideas email me! I will come hang out in your classroom and watch how/what/why you teach what you teach and offer suggestions on where technology can assist you!

2. Technology is worthless without professional development! - I will come train you (as long as you are a GCCISD employee. (If you are one of my family members or a friend you can come to me and you may want to bring someone to watch my little one :)

3. Mobile Technology stretches a long way - You can take it with you!

4. Tech tools are not just a passing fad - They are here to stay and will be a part of every facet of our lives! Just look at the kindle!

5. The new "F Word" is fear - Yes the kids will most likely know more about the technology than you do. That is good. They should know more than you so do not take it personal.

6. Money is not the problem - Some of my favorite tools on the planet are free Web 2.0 tools. In fact if it costs anything I usually go hunting on the web until I find a free version of that tool.

7. Invite every stakeholder to the conversation - The kids and the parents need to be in on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment